Tuesday, January 17, 2012

#485 Loretta Lynn- Greatest Hits (1982)

I need to call foul on this.  It's called the "Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time."  An album to me is a singular piece of work, a book written by an artist with a beginning and an end--not a compilation of great moments, not a "mix-tape of pure awesome", or even a nod to an amazing artist.  By this standard, each artist on this list should have their greatest hits compiled, and then rated.  I start this blog in protest; I realize it's not Loretta's fault but rather the voters, and so I'll err on the side of the coal-miner's daughter.

Wine, Women and Song- was one of her first hits from 1964 released on Decca records.  The song isn't anything special, but her voice couldn't be more adorable.

Happy Birthday- the hit from her first solo album in 1965, it's another song of self-respect--leaving her man after being mistreated.

You Ain't a Woman Enough (To Take My Man)- from the 1966 album of the same name, it was her highest charting single up to this point, hitting #2.  Sounds like she's found a good man now, one worth fighting for.

Don't Come Home a Drinkin' (With Lovin' On Your Mind)- from the 1967 album of the same name (a pattern?)  She finally hits #1 with this song, and the album itself is the first by a female country singer to be certified gold selling over 500,000 copies.  The song--it's more man trouble.

Fist City-  Yep, title track from the 1968 album of the same name(aotsn), that also hit #1.  Lynn had proven herself a successful writer by this point, and was able to use more of her own songs on each album--this was her twelfth album in a scant 5 years.  I'd liked to have met the man in her life, that was the inspiration for all this drama (in this song she confronts a woman who's after her man)

You've Just Stepped In (From Stepping Out On Me)- The #2 charting hit song of 1969 appeared on her album "Your Squaw Is on the Warpath" who's cover has been on politically incorrect lists for years.  Until I say otherwise, assume all songs are about man-trouble.

Woman of the World (Leave My World Alone)- Her third #1 single, and on her second 1969 aotsn.  If she's not mad at her man, she's out fighting with other women.  In this case she defending her man against a city slicker devil hoochie that is awkwardly described in the lyric "I wear more in swimming, than you wear to parties, where you go."

Coal Miner's Daughter-  The autobiographical #1 hit (1970 aotsn) was unlike all the man-trouble songs prior.   It was her first to cross over from the country charts to the pop charts peaking at #83. Do I really need to reference the Sissy Spacek movie?  I will however mention the 2 modulations common in country music.  It starts in D and ends in E and changing keys at the 1 and 2 minute marks almost perfectly... good thing the song lasts exactly 3.

After the Fire is Gone-  Loretta teams up for the first time with Conway Twitty on their 1971 album.  They would release a duet album each year for the next 10 years.  Sounds like these two, both frustrated with their spouses, have finally found solace in each other.  I'll admit, this one reminds me a little of Hee Haw.

Lead Me On-  The second #1 single for the duet.  This pair that found solace in ATFIG, is now taking it to the next step on their second duet album released in 1972.

One's on the Way- A lighter whimsical song about a domestic goddess in Kansas who's frantically juggling responsibilities, children and pregnancy.  The song was written by renaissance man Shel Silverstein,  famous for writing songs like Johnny Cash's "A Boy Named Sue", and Dr. Hook's "Cover of a Rolling Stone".  The song mentions "the pill".

I'm going off script for a brief minute.  The Pill was one of Loretta's biggest and most controversial hits, and is conspicuously left off of this compilation.  She recorded it in 1972, her record label suppressed it until 1975, and many country radio stations also banned it from play.  I feel this song, along with her advocacy for ordinary women belongs in her "greatest hits".

Rated "X"- also controversial in it's exposing of the double standards applied to divorced men vs divorced women during that time.

Love is the Foundation-  was Loretta's 7th #1 single, and can be found on her 1973 aotsn.  Did I catch that right, I think she's actually content in this song.

Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man- An uptempo duet with Conway on the 1973 aotsn.  The first that I have heard electric guitar in the intro, although it quickly downshifts to steel guitar.  Also the first I've heard so far that is flat out happy - a nice change of pace.  I was beginning to worry about that poor Kentucky girl.

As Soon As I Hang Up the Phone-  The phone call makes me laugh -- I want to hear Conway Twitty say "Hello Darlin'"  The song is a little gimmicky, it's a pseudo-duet.  Conway interjects spoken word on the phone, while Loretta sings this 1974 hit.  Have the duet pair finally broken up?

Trouble in Paradise-  Her eighth #1 hit as a solo artist.  She's sticking with her man "till the devil goes away"

When the Tingle Becomes a Chill- from the 1976 aotsn.  A song about losing love for someone.

Feelin's- Conway duet from 1975 aotsn.

Out Of My Head and Back In My Bed-  1978 aotsn.  Sounds like she's done being victim, and now out going after what she wants.

Somebody Somewhere (Don't Know What He's Missin' Tonight) - 1976 aotsn.  These last four all seem like throwaway songs.

She's Got You-  Hit #1 for Lynn in 1977, on a tribute album to Patsy Cline who originally recorded it.  It's seems a little too straight forward for me.  I prefer Elvis Costello's cover of it personally.

I Can't Feel You Anymore-  maybe it's the late 70's disco strings, but this song makes me feel icky.  It all feels a little forced.

I feel like I just finished an entire Whitman's sampler box of candies.  Twenty-two candies to be exact, in under an hour.  Quick math reveals each song averaged only 2.5 minutes.  I think my metaphor fits, because at first I was furiously trying one bite sized morsel after another and they were delish, but by the end of the box, they started making me ill.

One thing I will attest to, is her work-ethic.  Loretta recorded thirty-seven albums in a span of about fourteen years--further math reveals she was popping out 2.5 albums per year (coincidence?)  Married at the age of 13, she even popped out four kids before she was 19; six by the time she hit 25.

I'll give her loads of credit for all her achievements, but this is a greatest hits album.  And I'll bet dimes to donuts that these aren't the songs she'd have picked.  Maybe I'd have conceded if she wrote a song especially for this collection entitled "Greatest Hits".

Next Up- #484 Merle Haggard and the Strangers- Branded Man (1967)

No comments:

Post a Comment