Tuesday, January 10, 2012

#491 Mott The Hoople- All the Young Dudes (1972)

I guess I've sorta taken this list as gospel.  With all the musicians, producers,  and music aficionados who voted on albums, I assumed each entry was deserving of its spot.  I assumed each had significance: a breakthrough for an important artist, or a genre; perhaps a chronicle of the time.  I've owned this album for years, and from memory, I can't understand why it's on the list, even as far down as #491.  Sure, the song All the Young Dudes is epic, classic and glam's  ambassador to  music.  Does that warrant the album's inclusion on the list?  We'll see.

Sweet Jane- A Lou Reed/Velvet Underground cover.  I'm not Lou's biggest fan, but I also don't dig MTH's interpretation.
Momma's Little Jewel- While there's nothing inherently wrong, the song takes me nowhere.

All the Young Dudes- I could write the entire blog dedicated to this song alone.  Those opening few guitar notes remind me of the the Star Spangled Banner, Reveille, and the Beatles All You Need is Love, in a glamrock wrapper.  David Bowie was a fan of MTH, and upon hearing they were near break up, quickly penned this song for them, and in turn transformed them from "rock also-ran's" into rock idols.  Many of you, if not informed, probably thought this song was performed by Bowie himself.

Sucker- Up on cripple creek, with a harpsichord, and about 2 minutes longer than need be.
Jerkin' Crocus- The Rolling Stones called, they want their sound back.
One of the Boys-  Anyone born before 1980 won't recognize the intro--it's a rotary dial phone.  Sonically everything is right, great production, structure too; but it lacks something.  3 minutes could easily be shaved off of the end.
Soft Ground-  Written and sung by the keyboardist Allen, probably because Ian Hunter knew crap when he heard it, as long as it wasn't his own.

Ready for Love/ After Lights-  Sound familiar?  It should, guitarist Mick Ralph would go on to front Bad Company.  He'd take this song with him, along with the chord progression from One of the Boys which then became Can't Get Enough.  This is a solid listen, and refreshingly sincere and engaging.

Sea Diver-  Lead Vocalist/Pianist Ian Hunter ends the album with a forced-introspective song that can't decide if it's Pink Floyd, Bowie, Moody Blues, or Bob Dylan.  I'm a keyboard player, and I know self centered piano fluff when I hear it..

Look, if the voters and contributors of Rolling Stone Magazine's poll placed this album at #491 to honor David Bowie's brilliance as a producer, then I can accept that; the album "sounds" amazing.  Had the album consisted of 7 different versions of All the Young Dudes plus Ready for Love; and RS deemed it one of the 500 best albums, then so-be-it.  But I feel the need to call "bullshit" on this one.  There's nothing groundbreaking, or defining, or even marginally interesting about the other 7 songs.  And I don't buy that somehow they are even related to Bowie's rock-anthem.  They sound like versions of other bands' songs in that era.  Am I missing something? Please enlighten me.

John Lennon was once asked in an interview "what's the reason you(the Beatles) are so popular?" to which he replied "I don't know. If we knew, we'd get together four boys with long hair and be managers".  Perhaps Bowie did just that.


Next Up- #490 Gang of Four- Entertainment! (1979)

No comments:

Post a Comment