Saturday, January 7, 2012

#494 Cyndi Lauper- She's So Unusual (1983)

Cueing up the first pop album I've encountered on the list thus far, I'm putting my non-bias gameface on.  I feel the need to because I truly adore Cyndi Lauper:  her music, her style & personality back in the bubble gum days of MTV, as well as the woman/artist/activist who is still, in my opinion, a total class act today.  So yeah, my initial idea for this musical journey was to listen to each album and comment on the music in as much of a non-biased way as possible.  Here goes.

Money Changes Everything- The album starts off with a cover of a new wave song.  If you think the instruments sound familiar, you're right.  Cyndi's backing band was comprised of the members of the Hooters (And We Danced).

Girls Just Want to Have Fun was the first single and multi-platinum hit of the album.  It was given to Cyndi by the studio to record, with a much different message--It was more geared toward girls pleasing men.  She flipped the script and turned the misogynistic song into the feminist anthem of the decade, and I don't know any girl from 13 to 53 that won't leap to her feet to dance when it's blasted at a party.

When You Were Mine- A cover of Prince's B side to Controversy.  I don't remember this cover version, but my ears go straight to the Oberheim synthesizer sounds that together with the Linn Drums and Moog Synth Bass, defined an era.  The song itself, filler.

Time after Time:  How can I possibly listen to a song I love this much, and say something without bias?  Written and sung by Cyndi and the Hooter's Rob Hyman, it was the 2nd #1 single released, was nominated for a Grammy (song of the year), and has been covered by everyone from Willie Nelson to Miles Davis.

She Bop: The third single released, and 3rd consecutive top 10 hit.  Controversial for its topic; it rates #3 on the top songs about masturbation (behind Pump It Up, and I Touch Myself).  I still can't get past how much it sounds like the theme of the Munsters.

All Through the Night:  This fourth single that peaked at #5 on Billboard turned Lauper into the first female to have 4 singles from the same album hit #5 or better.  A song that the Cars originally recorded, but decided not to use on an album, Cyndi made it her own, and made it a hit.

Witness:  If I had to pick a weak track, here it is.  Ska/Reggae worked for the Police, but I'm not buying it here.
I'll Kiss you:  Not sure why they released this as a promotional sixth single (after Money Changes Everything), but it buddies up with Witness in Ska feel, and mediocrity.
She's So Unusual:  The title track is a ditty from the early 20's by an artist that was the inspiration for Betty Boop.  It's cute, scratchy record sound and all, but I did get annoyed by the song being only in my left ear.
Yeah Yeah:  You can hear her continue the Betty Boop voice in the background in this Farfisa Organ smothered song that has splashes of Cyndi doing her best Yoko Ono-like dolphin imitation.

Well, I gave it my best shot... but I'm sure it won't be too many more blogs before I'm outed as a fan of pop music.    What was unusual before '83 were powerful female artists having hit after hits.  Cyndi Lauper and Madonna (both breaking within weeks of each other in the fall of that year) were about to shatter norms, time after time.


Next up #493 Earth, Wind & Fire- That's the Way of the World (1975)

No comments:

Post a Comment