Sunday, January 1, 2012

#499 Albert King- Born Under a Bad Sign (1967)

Albert King doesn't waste a full measure of time before announcing the name of his title song, Born Under a Bad Sign. That's because he's got something that's going to convert the blues from a history lesson, to a blueprint to the great rock guitarists of the future.  The thick horns wide in the stereo, the backing of Stax Records' house band (Booker T & the MG's), I imagine it scared the shit out of people, blaring through their speakers all ballsy and bad-ass.  Scared em, or made em come alive, or probably both.

I went through a period in my late teens where I thought it was cool to be into the blues.  A feeble attempt to escape my youth, my whiteness, to borrow the wisdom and life experience these men had, if only musically.  I appreciated the music, the playing, but it would be many years later before I could appreciate where in the soul music like this came from.

Guitar players generations older than I, they got it.  They carried the torch until our generation was ready to receive.  Musicians I know inside out--like Stevie Ray Vaughn--I hear so much of Albert King's influence in his playing, his singing, his sound.  Clapton, Jimmy Page, even Hendrix all walked across the bridge that King built. The bridge that connected blues-past and rock-future.

Crosscut Saw: at 2 minutes 36 seconds... it just fades to quickly leaving you wanting more... like having to leave a party at midnight that you know is going roar until 4am.
Kansas City: a Leiber-Stoller staple that's been covered by everyone and their brother, but this version is just lush with smooth blowing horns.
Oh, Pretty Woman:  No, not the Roy Orbison kind.  Blues pretty straight forward.
Down Don't Bother Me:  I'm embarrassed to say the first version of this song I heard, was Sting.  Albert's version teaches you a lesson in 2 minutes, and quickly moves on to the next subject.  There's too much to learn here, and no time to dwell.
The Hunter:  There's an abruptness in his singing, reminds me alot of Jimi Hendrix.  He's bending guitar strings and squeezing phrases, full sentences, out of notes that some players barely get a syllable out of.  It's the difference between saying "shit", and "sheeeeeeeeeyyyiiiiiit".
I Almost Lost my Mind: Ok, so they aren't all winners.  This is a slow snoozer. Except for this way out of place flute solo in my left ear.  Who let Ron Burgundy in on this track?
Personal Manager: Great interplay between solo riffs, and horn stabs.
Laundromat Blues:  Yeah, there are blues songs written about "All Temperature Cheer"... well not really.  I hear links to (rather from) Jimmy Page's playing on Led Zeppelin's first album.  Just another reminder of who lit the flame of my torch carriers.
As the Years go Passing By:  Just about when I checked out of this album, I get sucked back in.  I know this song's melancholy, this nostalgia, I've been this guy.  And the interplay of piano, horns, guitar, singing... mmm.
The Very Thought of You:  Yes, that one.  See, why couldn't more of the album be like this.  This is just a great in-the-pocket version of this song, this way overplayed song. It's like meeting someone for the first time, but having the feeling you've been friends your whole life.  Dig the hush-talking at 2:32 that reminds me of every Boys To Men song ever recorded.  The big man shows his tenderness... and I can't wait to use this version for a slow dance somewhere.

Albert King, you came in hard, scared the crap out of the neighbors, changed the landscaping, taught the kids some tough lessons, but then finished the day by delivering flowers all around.

-CTK

Next up #498 ZZ Top- Tres Hombres (1973)

No comments:

Post a Comment